Celebrating 100 years of providing first class healthcare
A group of Sisters of Mercy travelled by steamer from Brisbane and arrived in Rockhampton on 4 August 1873. In 1882 the Rockhampton Congregation of the Sisters of Mercy became a separate foundation and Mother M Agnes White became the first Superior. The Rockhampton Sisters of Mercy remained a separate Congregation until in 2011 it joined with a number of other Mercy Congregations to form the Institute of Sisters of Mercy of Australia and Papua New Guinea.
The first Sisters to arrive in Rockhampton commenced an educational ministry through the establishment of a school in Kent Street, Rockhampton which in 1895 was relocated to the Athelstane Range thus founding the Range College. The educational ministry of the Sisters extended throughout Central Queensland with schools being established in many Centres. Then in November 1915, the Rockhampton Congregation extended their works of Mercy to minister to the sick with the opening of the Mater Hospital in Rockhampton, with their purchase of the beautiful heritage listed 'Kenmore' building (above right). This was followed by the opening of Mater Hospitals in Mackay (1927), Bundaberg (1945), Yeppoon (1998) and Gladstone (1999).
In 2011, the Rockhampton Sisters of Mercy joined with a number of other Mercy Congregations to form the Institute of Sisters of Mercy of Australia and Papua New Guinea and in the same year, Mercy Partners became the canonical sponsor and Company Member for MH&ACCQL.
In 2015, the Rockhampton Mater Hospital - located in Ward Street Rockhampton and is fully accredited by the Australian Council on Healthcare Standards - will proudly celebrate 100 years of service to the people of Rockhampton and surrounds. A number of staff and community events have been planned to commemorate this remarkable milestone.
Copyright © 2016 Mercy Health and Aged Care Central Queensland Limited